Monday, March 21, 2011

Czech It Out

View from the Eiffel Tower on Petrin Hill
The last two weeks have been so busy, hence the lack of posts. I wrote one paper, made two oral presentations, and survived four midterm exams. So my weekend trip to Prague came at exactly the right time. I traveled with Emily Thursday night from CDG direct to Prague. I didn't know much about the city, but a sorority sister of mine at W&L who spent a summer in the Czech Republic sent me a great list of things to do. We made it to the hotel easily with one of many crazy cab drivers. The weather on Friday was miserably cold and rainy, but we schlepped through the Prague Castle, the St. Vitus Cathedral, and a museum. There were dozens of tour groups. Everyone seemed edgy, running into each other with umbrellas, and trying to take pictures simultaneously. Or maybe that was just me. Despite the conditions, it was incredible to see a structure that dates back to the 9th century. Emily asked me if I'd ever heard of a place called Medieval Times. According to the MT website: "Step back in time with epic battles, jousting tournaments, royal feasts, knights and romance at any of our nine North American castles." Afternoons at Medieval Times used to be a Wright Family favorite. I had never heard of such a thing. I guess it hasn't hit Houston yet. 

After seeing the castle, we crossed the river on the Charles Bridge and ate lunch at an Italian restaurant called La Finestra. By the late afternoon it stopped raining so we explored Old Town Square and shopped. I absentmindedly left my umbrella inside one of the stores. When we went back for it before dinner they offered us Moet & Chandon champagne. That naturally led to cocktail hour inside Dior making friends with the staff. We asked our new friend for her favorite thing to do in Prague. She responded point blank, "Sleep with my boyfriend, but I can't really recommend that to you." She was a sweet, funny, and effective salesperson.  

We ate dinner at Celeste on the 7th floor of the "Dancing House" (Nationale-Nederlanden). It's a building known for its unusual architecture. Our meal and the view from the terrace above the restaurant was great. I had fish as my main course and we split a chocolate and blood orange dessert. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment