Monday, January 17, 2011

Bienvenue à rue Froidevaux

I've finally made it to Paris! For the next four months I'll be living with a host family in the 14th arrondissement studying Art History, French, and Marketing. Luckily, my family speaks English or I'd be playing charades trying to communicate. The mother Nancy was born in the states, but split her  childhood between London, Rome, Brussels, and eventually moved to Paris at age 16. Her French  photographer husband Bernard works in a studio that shares the same courtyard as the house. I met him briefly. He looked at my luggage and asked if I was planning on staying a year. I just smiled.

Below are some pictures of the interior. It's very eclectic and artsy with cement floors and winding staircases. I will be sharing the third floor with one of my two pseudo brothers Prosper and Victor. The family's 23 year old daughter Lucy is leaving for a graphic design internship in New York.

Since I'm living with a family they will provide several meals during the week. Today for lunch we had assorted cheeses and cassoulet. I wish I knew a little French for mealtime conversation. I have a feeling they don't want to speak English all of the time. However, I was thrilled when Nancy said they love downloading American television shows online. Mad Men is the current household favorite. After lunch Nancy showed me the neighborhood fromagerie, chocolate shop, and dry cleaners. Then I explored a little bit on my own and found the apartments where some of the other students are living. I also got a metro card. Tomorrow is orientation and then we begin two weeks of intensive language classes. Till then.

No comments:

Post a Comment