Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A French Dinner

Tonight my host family invited three couples over for an intimate dinner party. I was happy to be included even though I couldn't communicate with anyone. I just observed and listened. We all began the night upstairs with wine, sausage, and sliced fresh horseradish Nancy called "organic sausage." There were two small dishes, one with a spice mix and the other black sesame seeds mixed with salt to dip the horseradish. As the guests arrived I managed to say bonsoir and introduce myself. I wasn't ready for the double kiss greeting from the women. 


After everyone conversed for awhile we all went downstairs to the kitchen. The kitchen is pretty big. There is a long dining table along and a concrete "island" (as I would call it in America) with bar stools. Lucy, Prosper, his friend, and I formed the kids table on the stools. Nancy dressed the main table beautifully with a white table cloth, silver trays, and candelabras. We began with foie gras, bread, and Sauternes (a sweet white wine). I learned that the French always put the bread on the table, not on plates even if there is not a tablecloth. Then we had pork with a tomato, onion sauce and potatoes au gratin. Following the main course we had cheese and more bread. This is something I am still getting used to. I knew before I came that cheese after the meal is very typical, but I didn't think families would really eat it everyday after dinner. I especially like how it's served on a round wooden block. 


For dessert we had a lemon cheesecake with a gingersnap crust. One of the guests said, "Kate would you like a piece of cake?" At least that is what I made out. All of a sudden the entire table burst out in hysteric laughter and started jabbering in French. I just smiled and carried on. I felt like I was in a nail salon at home where the ladies talk about you, but you can't understand what they are saying.

Luckily, Lucy talked to me in English some and we talked about her upcoming trip to New York. She she made a comment about needing to exercise when she gets to America because of all of the food and alcohol she'll consume. I found this so surprising that she would feel that way about the US when that is exactly how I feel about being in France.

The more wine everyone drank, the louder it got. It was a very lively, boisterous group. I love being a part of it. Tomorrow afternoon intensive French lessons begin. I am in Group A for extreme beginners. I desperately need to learn some new words and phrases to bring to the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment