Thursday, February 17, 2011

Le Petrelle

The area surrounding the Anvers metro stop in the 9th arrondissement near the Sacre Coeur is not the loveliest of neighborhoods to hang out in at night. I held my bag tightly, passing some shady characters on the five-minute walk to Le Petrelle. I let myself in through a glass door and heavy velvet curtain hiding the interior from the street. I immediately felt comfortable. I spotted Grace and Emily at our table through a bookcase and display of fresh produce at the entrance. The intimate dining room was casually elegant with a whimsical decor. 'Paris meets Brooklyn' according to Grace. On each table there were a few neat books, small flowers, a candle, and an odd ceramic bird with a removable head. Linear scenes in black, white, and red covered the entire back wall. The print looked like it came straight from a Dr. Seuss book with the winding staircase and curious objects lining the bookcase. Our waiter with the charming British-English accent brought our menus promptly. The cursive writing inside was beautiful, but we could hardly decipher our options. Luckily, he explained everything. Grace and Emily started with an artichoke salad and I chose the special. My poached egg came in a small white ramekin with cream, mushrooms, and black truffles. There were greens on the side and long strips of toast for dipping. For our main courses, Grace and I ordered steak medium rare. Emily had the fish of the day. The steak was perfectly cooked, not too big, not too small. It's not often that I order non-chocolate desserts at a restaurant and last night was no exception. I had the gateau au chocolate. It was both rich and light. Grace had the same and Emily ordered a lavender infused cream. The atmosphere, service, conversation, and of course food was just perfect. Who knows, maybe I will meet a suave Frenchman who will take me back.
There was a dog in the restaurant too. 
Petrelle 
34, rue petrelle
75009
Paris
Telephone 01 42 82 11 02

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Kate!

    That food looks very delicious! As I know, France is known for its lovely cuisine

    I love it when there are animals in businesses... like the doggie in the Shakespeare bookstore in Paris

    ReplyDelete