Thursday, February 3, 2011

'Tom Collins' s’il vous plaît

Wednesday at W&L is a party night, so why not make it one here? One of my friends loved Harry's Bar in Venice, so she suggested we go to the one in Paris. I went with three other girls went last night before going out to dinner. It was in the 2nd arrondissement near the Opera house. We sat at a round table downstairs right next to the piano. It really did have a New Yorky feel. There were lots of business types and couples. The atmosphere wasn't great, but we all enjoyed our cocktails and I'd go back. I had a Tom Collins: gin, perrier, lemon, and sugar. I may be taking after my father choosing gin.
After Harry's, we went to a casual bistro called Le Mesturet. We all had un plat and dessert. Oddly, entree in French is an appetizer and plat is entree. The food was great especially for the price. I had the coq au vin for my main course. Two of my friends got a dessert called Paris Brest maison, crème pralinée (petit appétit s’abstenir). The menu translated on the side (not for small appetites)! It came dusted with powdered sugar and drizzled with caramel. We've learned that at restaurants in Paris, you really have to flag down the waiter and deliberately ask for the check (l'addition) or they'll let you sit for an hour after you've finished a meal. Just about every server speaks English back to me when I attempt speaking French. Oh well. However, a man on the street stopped me this week and started talking to me in French. When I said I didn't understand he said, "You're not from France?! But you look Parisian." It totally made my day. Clearly, I'm fooling some people. 
Small appetites, refrain.
Cool wine bottle light fixture
I'm going to visit a W&L friend in London this weekend. I'm only a pile of French worksheets away. I still haven't gotten into a routine as far as schoolwork goes. My host family requested I bring back some Marmite from the UK. I can't forget! I am looking forward to hearing English!

No comments:

Post a Comment