Monday, February 7, 2011

Mind the Gap

I had a good weekend in London, but I'm glad to be back in Paris. The weather was beautiful and sunny today. (Il fait beau!) It really makes such a difference here. People everywhere were eating outside and lounging in parks and gardens all afternoon. I discovered that the park near my house has free wifi, so I will definitely have to take advantage of that when it gets a little bit warmer.

While I was in London I visited a friend of mine from W&L who is studying at the London School of Economics for the whole year. We went to the Tate Modern Friday afternoon and had sushi for dinner. She showed me the area where she lives and took me to the Camden Yard market on Saturday. The area reminded me of Montrose in Houston. There were lots of funky vendors and antiques. I stayed with one of my Mom's UT sorority sisters that lives in the Notting Hill/Kensington area. It was really nice. I discovered lots of great shops and made a visit to Whole Foods there. Of course! I also got the Marmite to bring back for my family here. I'd have to say the highlight of the trip was probably finding the vintage cocktail bracelet/watch I bought at the Portabello Road market. It's a costume cuff from the 1950's that opens with a hinge and has a tiny watch underneath varied blue stones. I also enjoyed walking through Kensington Gardens before I left Sunday. I went to Kensington Palace and the Serpentine Gallery too. For some reason I had major issues with public transportation while I was there. A cab driver cursed at me for asking him about a bus route. The lady in the tube station threatened to fine me 50£ for not using my Oyster card correctly. Then, a woman in the train station on the way home called me a "typical American" for not moving up in the passport line quickly enough. Too bad I didn't have some sassy comeback for the typical Brit. 
Love the colored doors
Harrod's at night

1 comment: